Saturday, April 19, 2008

Sea Otter Day 2 & 3: Pleasure and Pain...

This will be a combined post basically because yesterday ended so late. To start off, the morning before qualification for Dual Slalom yesterday I was so incredibly nervous I could hardly put words together. I couldn't reconcile the situation in my head, and not having the ability to predict what might happen was wearing on me. To say it basically: I might either kick ass, or have my ass kicked bad. The first run was smooth as butter and I turned in the sixth fastest time of my class. The second run started out great but about five gates in I had one of the most comical "crashes" I've ever had. Going into a loose fast corner my rear wheel chopped up too much and before I knew it I was in a full slide, which I somehow managed to control and finally came to a stop atop the bike facing 180 degrees the wrong direction...uphill. Once I realized i could recover I did, and only lost 2 seconds! Out of my periphery I watched my running mate take an awful fall which resulted in a 20 minute delay to wheel him off in an ambulance. I hope he is ok. Suffice to say after stressing myself to death, I qualified with plenty of room to spare for the finals Sunday at 1pm!

Last night was a movie premier of a new film by a group called The Collective in downtown Monterey. We preceded that by taking our dirty and dilerious selves to a restaurant and throwing popcorn at each other. The film was called "Seasons" and was a downhill bike film shot on 16mm film. It was, to say the least, inspiring. The film quality and photography was rich and tasty. ( I always want to describe movies made like that as having some sort of thick rich and complex taste to them) We arrived home at 12:30am (mind you our Cross Country race started at 7am the next morning...that's a 5am wake up) when I proptly had to get in the garage and change my drive train on the bike... After realizing i lost my phone in Monterey, I set someone elses alarm and closed my eyes somewhere around 1:30am.

Cross country this morning was great. Waking up for it was another story all together. The Sea Otter course is fantastic. I felt strong the whole way until the infamous "hurl hill" at the end, when I ran entirely out of gas. It was a this point that Dusty passed me and pulled almost a minute gap on me. Very demoralizing! Way to go Dusty! Evidently if you train, your performance improves! I won't take you through a play by play on the 20 mile race, but suffice to say it was very fun and very hard... I've spent the entire day since trying to rectify some funky stomach issue that has had me in a bad mood ever since the end of the race. Coupled with that was the 50mph wind gusts blowing icy air and dust in your eyes. The Sea Otter today was basically miserable. =)

Tomorrow is the last day and the finals for Dual Slalom. We'll be making runs head to head in elimination style to see who is the fastest rider out there! Wish Zach and I luck in our respective classes! Better yet, since of course we don't need luck, wish us speed and tires that stay on the ground!! Once this weekend is over I'll be posting many links and imbedded photos for y'all's (yes that would be a double contraction) viewing pleasure. Thanks for reading!!

1 comment:

Dusty & Cyndie said...

This monster has only begun to feed on the hopeless victims in front of me. I will not stop until I get to the highest point to stand on the podium let people gnarly their ugly sandbagger words for lavishing in the beating I gave them. Then i'll move up to expert and do it all again. Needless to say this guy is sick of fighting to not get last place.

Pics and Videos up soon.