Thursday, August 28, 2008

The case for one speed: Why derail a good thing?

We live in a world of options. Salad with cranberries or goat cheese? Coffee or vanilla non-fat flat latte? We usually have a choice on just about everything we desire. But how many times have you stared down a menu trying to decide between a florentine omelette, ollalieberry pancakes or an organic Mediterranean scramble. Choices can be amazing. Choices can be maddening! I believe we have surrounded ourselves with so many options we are now going bananas trying to decide between them all. However if you just closed your eyes and ordered any one of those breakfasts at random, or just asked for a basic two-egg breakfast, chances are you would sit, eat, enjoy and leave satisfied.

The presence of choice constantly creates the possibility for derailing your focus. All too often we allow ourselves to be derailed and to pursue another option prematurely or before realizing what we have left behind. How many relationships have been torn apart by the allure of another, only to have the guilty party realize they were chasing after an illusion?

There is a lure about the simple life. I remember one morning driving into Superior, AZ after driving all night for a climbing competition and stopping at a diner with Zach for breakfast. After sitting down I opened the menu to read the following:
Breakfast: $5.95
Lunch: $6.95
Dinner $9.95
I remember thinking, "Wow, this is easy!" No hesitation, I ordered breakfast and had my hunger satiated. Onwards and sideways!

Yes, I can tie this easily into bicycles. The word derail should lend a hint as to how I might get there. The amazing devise that allowed for the evolution of mountain bikes to multi-geared machines, also allowed for the use of quick release wheels that sat in convenient vertically oriented drop-outs. This stationary position of the wheel eventually allowed for the ease of transitioning bicycles to the use of disc brakes. Derailleurs also served to constantly tension the chain so as a chain stretches there isn't any need to loosen the wheel and adjust the tension. As technology got more advanced and chains got narrower bikes began to carry many gears! Now-a-days there are about 27 gears at a rider's disposal. Amazing, right? But what shadow does this technology cast? Well, a few for sure! Weight is of course and issue. More cogs, longer chains and cables and shifter mechanisms all contribute to a heavier ride, though most riders are willing to tote the extra grams for the ability to shift gears. Complication is a dark side of geared bikes, and has lead to its own pathology set. "Chain suck", rattles, poor adjustment are just a few on top of the general idea that more parts equals more parts to break.

However, what happens when you finally ordered that Mediterranean scramble? Perhaps it comes and you spend breakfast wondering what the florentine omelette might have tasted like. You've lost focus on breakfast. What happens in a race when you constantly have a thumb on the shifter contemplating a better gear? Perhaps you've lost focus on your race. The amazing technology that clanks and clatters along behind you in every ride could be a force derailing your whole riding experience. I know that personally I've paid a lot of attention to the noise coming from the derailleurs on my bikes. To me a rattle gives me the sense that my bike isn't quite as together as it should be.

As for me, at this point in time. I've decided to sit down and order the two-egg breakfast. Perhaps it is just because I just can't afford the ollalieberry pancakes, or maybe I'm curious if I can just sit and really enjoy those two eggs. My bike now has one short chain, and two cogs (10 less than it used to!). In a box in my yard is hundreds of grams of equipment that apparently I never really needed. I can say for sure, in the middle of this meal I have really come to appreciate what eggs taste like, and how well they go with a piece of toast. Not once have my thumbs gone for a gear when I come to a hill. Sure, it is a lot of work getting up the steeper hills, a lot of work. But, that's just riding, right? Plus the pleasure of a silent ride downhill is doubly worth that effort, and the knowledge that I won't go out of adjustment, have a stick come up and snap off the derailleur of have the chain come popping off the rings makes me relax and enjoy the ride ahead. I think once people are stripped of all the options they could have they find the ones they do have are plenty, and sometimes the preferred! Maybe everyone will soon begin to live more simple fulfilling...rides. =)

1 comment:

Dusty & Cyndie said...

But what about all the suspension? you won't see those one gears on an SX trail there for not interested. My Eggs, toast, pancakes, grits, oatmeal and juice taste just fine...actually they're delicious. Especially when I want to pedal faster down a hill or be able to make it up the Downieville hill. Broken bikes is a part of riding and a part of the fun. What would we do with out all the know-it-alls at the bike shops telling us "your problem is this" only to figure out they were wrong for the millionth time. I'm a simple man, but a simple man that loves the pleasure of a cushy ride and an easier gear. Enjoy your two eggs. I'll enjoy my full meal.