Sunday, March 8, 2009

Power of the Pelvis

I remember saying "oh shit!" in midair. I could see my front wheel heading straight for the opposing face of the jump landing as I threw my weight back to brace against the impact. The fork bottomed worse than I've ever felt. Being that, during 20 years of riding I've landed two wheels in this position far more times than I care to mention, I knew to throw my weight back hard, but the impact flung my pelvis forward into the seat. Painful as it sounds, it saved me an even more painful trip over the bars. For some perspective on the force it took to mangle this seat, two grown men were unable to bend this thing back... Remember, you can gobble up 6.5 inches of travel faster than you can say "bend resisitant cromoly rails"

(By the way, for all concerned parties, my pelvis fared far better than the seat. Hence the title)

5 comments:

StacE said...

Way to bounce back, Jesse. That was a very scary situation to see unfold. Watching your bike "crumble" as it absorbed all that force was enough to make me go into rescue mode. But your perfect line and control of the bike kept a bad situation from becoming infinitely worse. Power of the pelvis, yes, but also power to your bike handling skills!

Dusty & Cyndie said...

Dusty said it was bad, but wow, that looks like it hurt!! Glad it didn't, you've got one strong pelvis region!

Dusty & Cyndie said...

p.s. this is cyndie, i don't know how it got Dusty's name on there...

davidbelden said...

Um.... how about the rest of your, um, kit? Seems like whacking a saddle hard enough to bend it could have you peeing fire, or worse, for days. Everything still work? Pelvis is one thing, but it's the rest of the parts that matter!

Smitty said...

Yep, all is well...downstairs, except for a bruise on my inner thigh. =) I got lucky!